Sunday, January 31, 2010

One Thousand Muffins

A rarity with Kurt is to hear him say "thank you." He doesn't like that phrase, especially when addressed to him.

If I thank him for a task, he cringes, puts his hand out to say "stop" and tells me, "No thank yous!"

"Why can't I say thank you," I asked one day.

"Only kids get thanked," he said.

That's not true, of course, but I know what he's talking about. He hates when people become animated when they talk to him or get excited when he accomplishes a task. It is the same way some people talk to toddlers and Kurt gets that. It's patronizing.

When showing gratitude to a coworker, getting super excited and praising the person over and over would not seem sincere. So why would anyone do that to an adult with a disability? Unfortunately, that happens all the time.

Any show of appreciation or "Good job!" gets the cringe from Kurt.

The other day I made chocolate, chocolate chip muffins for breakfast. Yes, I know that wasn't the healthiest choice, but it sure did give me my chocolate fix.

I was sitting in the living room using my laptop while Kurt finished breakfast and I looked up to see him in the doorway.

"Mom," he said. "How many muffins did you make?"

"Twelve."

"Next time, could you make one thousand?"

"I don't think so," I said. "But I put one in your lunch box."

He tilted his head and nodded with a grin, "Thanks."

Made my day.

1 comment:


Kurt at 19