Sunday, December 20, 2009

Shopping With Kurt - Oh My!

Kurt finished his Christmas shopping this week. I had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, so my mom offered to take Kurt shopping since they would have a couple of hours together anyway. He was to buy his brother Kelly and my gifts.

"We got it done," she said, looking dazed with a frozen smile on her face when I got home.

In years past, shopping with Kurt had been difficult, to put it mildly. He didn't want to buy presents for other people, so getting him out shopping was as fun as shoveling the driveway after a heavy snow, and as tiring. Once at the store, Kurt would become obsessed with an item he found, like a Legos set or a fire truck, and would insist on buying that for himself. Sometimes, prying the object of his desire out of his hands and leaving the store with my head exploding was all I could do.

Kurt's shopping skills have improved over the year. He has learned that he doesn't have to buy something for himself every trip to a store. And for the first time, he wants to give gifts. However, there are still challenges.

"Kurt saw this winter scarf and wouldn't look at anything else," Mom said.

"It was striped in fuchsia, orange, and turquiose," she said. "And he wanted to buy you the matching hat, which had a bill and ear flaps."

They put the set in their cart and browsed in Shopko for Kelly's gift. "I figured I could change his mind if we saw something else," Mom said.

That worked and I'm not getting the scarf set. I really wouldn't have minded. Knowing Kurt picked out my gift, whatever he thought I might like, brings a smile. I'm grateful he has come so far.

I'll tell you about his purchases for Kelly and when I took him shopping in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Kurt at 19