Sunday, November 22, 2009

All I Want for Christmas

I hate listening to ads on the radio, so whenever I'm driving and one comes on, I switch to one of three Twin Cities stations. That happened last week Tuesday, when an ad came on 97.1 and I tuned into 102.9. To my surprise, they were playing Christmas music. A little early, I thought as we drove to Community Homestead, but Kurt was enthralled. This is Kurt's favority holiday, and combine that with his love of music, and he must know every carol ever recorded.

"All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey came on the radio while we cruised along Highway 35, just north of Somerset.

"She doesn't want any presents," Kurt said.

Deep in my own thoughts, I looked over at Kurt, "What?"

He nodded his head towards the radio and repeated, "She doesn't want any presents for Christmas."

Turning back to watch the road, I listened to the lyrics, which I hadn't paid much attention to until Kurt brought me back to the present.

Mariah was singing:
"I don't want a lot for Christmas
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace
Santa Claus won't make me happy
With a toy on Christmas day
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you."

Kurt completely missed the romantic nuance, but I like to follow his line of reasoning. He can't believe someone wouldn't want presents.

On Wednesday, the Mariah Carey song came on again. We were a little farther up the road, having left earlier than the day before.

"If this song was in my brain," Kurt said. "I'd still be hoping for presents under the tree."

No comments:

Post a Comment


Kurt at 19